Waking up in the morning to a clean, de-cluttered space brings me a sense of balance and happiness. Even when my children were young I managed to maintain a space where I could sit, if only for a few precious moments and enjoy the calm and peace of a minimalist space.
Of course we all know that life is messy business and cannot really be controlled. There are however ways to make daily life less stressful. Getting rid of extra stuff is one of the keys to diminishing stress.
Simplifying your life means doing what you enjoy or being with the people you love and eliminating whatever gets in the way of feeling good. Getting to simplicity is about discovering what truly has value to you and getting rid of the rest. The de-clutter journey liberates the mind and spirit and frees your energy for deeper levels of fulfillment.
The more stuff you acquire, the more time and attention you need to expend caring for and managing that stuff. Taking stock of what is most important to you and eliminating the rest is the essence of the simplification process.
We accumulate material objects for a variety of reasons:
* Sentimental value; memories associated with a lost loved one
* Believing our lives will be happier and more fulfilling
* Feeling more valued ourselves for having more stuff
* Experiencing peer pressure to keep up materially
* Inability to let go; feeling a personal connection with belongings
* Thinking someday the objects will fill a need
The clutter that continues to build in your world creates chaos and anxiety, which can be alleviated by making some changes in your daily routine. When the space you live and work in is pared down and organized, you will feel more in control and able to focus on the things that matter most to you in life.
10 Ideas to Simplify Your Life
* Make a list of your top 5 priorities in your life.
* Evaluate your daily schedule and commitments. Eliminate whatever doesn’t line up with your priorities.
* Consider the appointments and commitments you make. Are they in alignment with your values?
* Think about all the stuff in your life that feels irrelevant or superfluous, and start clearing the decks i.e. donating books, clothes, utensils.
* Pare down your wardrobe. Eliminate clothing that doesn’t make you feel good and confident.
* Spend more time with friends and less time in the stores. You’ll be happier.
* Create morning and evening rituals. Your life will feel not only feel more in control with rituals, but you might also notice that you have more energy in the morning and better sleep as night.
* Find a regular time to de-clutter. Make it a routine, as it’s a process, not a destination.
* Learn the feeling of having enough, so you are not trapped in the perpetual cycle of wanting, seeking and getting.
* Make sure you are doing at least one of your top priorities daily.
Please leave your comments about other ideas you have for simplifying your life.